Saturday, April 12, 2014

When It All Falls Down

Have you ever felt as if your tower is about to fall?
photo source credit
I work in a district that shuffles teachers in October,
based on classroom numbers.
Of this, I was not aware upon hiring.  
Then I saw it happen to a friend last fall.
You can be settled and zooming right along,
only to discover that head office has 
decided your building has too many warm bodies,
but the classrooms aren't full.
So they reassign you to a school that ended up with
more students than projected,
where you discover that your classroom is a prior closet 
and there are no techie things or tables available.

I like my school, my room, my stuff.
I love my students.
Yesterday, we discovered that a fourth kindergarten room
is being added for next year.
At first, I jumped for joy because it meant that
our principal is trying to lower our class sizes.
(At one point, all three K rooms had 25 students;
the limit is 30 before an aide is requested)
But it didn't take long for me to realize that
I'm the one in the reassign spot for next year.

I also know that, based on our numbers in October, 
we wouldn't have merited a fourth teacher
--by Christmas, yes!--
 I need to wrap my head around the possibility
that I will be moved, after the year has begun.  
As it stands now, I have a 45-minute commute each way; 
if I'm moved to a school on the other side of the city,
I'm looking at 90 minutes in the car, twice a day.
When you add the almost certain fact that a refigured class 
is assembled in a less than fair way,
the picture looks even less appealing.

Has this happened to you?
Do you work in a district that uses this model?
How can I see the glass as half-full in this type of challenge?  I want to….

That tricky bronchitis virus turned into a form of
pneumonia and I'm back in bed for the weekend,
after being in class on W, Th, F.  
I intended to work on lesson plans, but found myself here,
pouring out my heart to anyone willing to read this post. 
Right now, I don't see the positive spin on a possible reassignment.
But I know the truth is still true.  
 I leave you with this gorgeous slideshow and the words of Chris August….

6 comments:

  1. Chrissy,
    I have not had this happen before but do know that many schools wait til October to see about their true numbers. I don't know about you but we are still getting new kids some of which have missed months of school or have never been. It benefits kids and teachers to have an established classroom as soon as possible. Hoping for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am reading this and feel really bad about this. What can I say to you? It all makes me feel so sad. I know you will do well wherever you land but change is so challenging. Right now you need to just feel better and stay healthy. I promise this will work out. I want to stay more in touch with you. Love, Fran

    ReplyDelete
  3. What school district are you in? I had this happen to me this year. I was moved from my school of 6 years, teaching a class of 19 second graders that I looped with from 1st (one of my best classes of kids in 13 years of teaching, and where I am, that's something)...to a school on the other side of the city (45 min commute to 1 1/2 hour commute), teaching 31 Kindergarteners (with a para for 1/2 the day). I was told in October that I would be leaving (surplused, as they call it for us), but I wasn't actually moved until right after Winter Break. I'm not going to lie...it sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry Chrissy. I'm sure I would be asking all the same questions if I were in your shoes. Have you read Max Lucado's book, You'll Get Through This? My mom bought it for me over spring break. It's been one of those years. I think it would bless you like it has blessed me.
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chrissy - I just saw this ... know that you are in my prayers. Who knows what God has planned through all of this ... what you can count on is that he will be with you every step. We need to get together ... SOON! - Becky Long

    ReplyDelete
  6. Feeling for you, Chrissy. I have a book suggestion, too. The Secret by Rhonda Byrne. This has helped me immeasurably! I listen to it every day on my iPod.
    Get better soon! You don't want to mess with pneumonia.
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being part of my story!