Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Book Whisperer~ Chapters 1 & 2


"Donalyn Miller, will you be my friend?!"


That is the question that floated through my mind as I read chapter one of "The Book Whisperer".  My earliest memories involve books.  From Dick and Jane to Trixie Beldon and Anne Shirley, I have considered book characters to be a window to my soul.  Through books, I visit unbelievable places, consider new ideas, and somehow process the real stuff that is life.


I'm still a book purist--I like the weight of paper and binding, the turn of the page.  It is no surprise that my classroom is filled with a wide variety of books, in many locations around the room.  I love sharing my favorite children's books with my kindergartners.  


After Christmas break, the children will begin to use 'zippy book bags' during our literacy block.  These bags are filled on Mondays with appropriate choices for each child's reading level and interests.  I'm pondering how to provide quality reading time, from day one, to a wiggly group of young five-year-olds.  Perhaps creating book sets--white board & crayons, felt pieces & small board, etc., with books--will engage some of my more kinesthetic learners.  I also hope to lend books this year.  Because our classroom collection belongs almost entirely to me (or the library), I have hesitated to do this.  Losing a book hurt$!  :-)


My ten-year-old son is a dormant reader.  We're heading to Barnes & Noble later, to begin a comic book collection.  I am thrilled that he wants to read!  And, you never know, I just might find a new book for my reading basket!















1 comment:

  1. You just found my new blog and now I've been busy looking through yours. Super cute!!!! I am your newest follower! Thanks for putting me on your sidebar. I'm returning the favor. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being part of my story!