Friday, March 25, 2011

Report Card Questions

Ok.  Maybe you didn't have to spend your spring break completing report cards (like me!), but third quarter is part of recent memory and fourth quarter is in full swing.  As I prepare to write comments about my kindergarten stars, I have a few questions for you:

  1. How do you score K reports?  
  2. Is there a math assessment that seems out of place on your report card?
  3. Does your report card include a grade for alphabet recognition?
  4. Do you include reading level info on your cards? 
My answers.....

  1. O=Outstanding, S=Satisfactory, NI=Needs Improvement (+ and -, also)
  2. On our card, there is an assessment for understanding math vocabulary.  After figuring grades for counting skills, number recognition, patterning, addition, money, etc., I think the vocabulary grade is redundant.  Of course, I could be wrong!
  3. I understand the need for alphabet assessment at the end of first quarter and, for some, after second quarter, but I wish the second semester slots had been shaded out.  
  4. The reading segment of our report card includes knowledge of letter sounds, decoding of simple words, blending skills, comprehension, and fluency.  If a child is reading beyond grade level, I try to include that info in the comments section.
I have a great idea!  I'll have a linky party at the end of fourth quarter; let's all celebrate that last grading period!  

2 comments:

  1. I wish our report card was more detailed like that! We give "S" and "N" (satisfactory/needs time to develop). It's not a very detailed description of where a student is, so I try to send very detailed notes of what's accomplished and what struggles are still happening during progress report time. Can't wait for the linky party! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. Johnson, you make a good point! When the report card is vague/general, the burden of proof falls in the comments section.

    Only eight more weeks of school; this makes me sad AND happy! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being part of my story!