Saturday, February 2, 2013

Saturday Sayings

I am so happy to be linking up with Tammy 
at forever in first for Saturday Sayings!
I read this quote during last summer's book study of 

I'll admit that I didn't use this approach in the area of writing until this school year.  Yes, I have always had a writing station in my classrooms, complete with various writing implements, paper, and tools.  I incorporate writing into other subjects, stations, and I provide specific instruction for letter formation, as our curriculum demands.  But I didn't approach writing from a sustained, project building approach.  After reading Ms. Ray's book, and networking with blogging friends, I took the plunge.  Joy!  My kindergartners LOVE writer's workshop.  Just yesterday, a little friend added WW to her story of a kindergarten kingdom, complete with castle and princess.  I can't wait to see how her book ends!

In early childhood education, teachers typically introduce children to the concept of centers or stations, give them time to explore (and play!), and showcase science in the classroom setting.  We plant seeds, melt ice, build highways, try new tools.  In these ways, children are eyewitnesses to a process, a continuation of learning.  I'm learning to look at student writing with the same eyes.

What are you seeing?

Saturday Sayings can be found at Tammy's awesome blog

4 comments:

  1. That's a wonderful quote! I'm glad that you're enjoying writing workshop and that you're seeing the fruit of it in your children's writing too. I know I'd like to find ways to do more of what Katie is talking about in other areas of the curriculum too. There's something that feels so authentic about the kinds of things that can be done in sustained periods of time over several days. Thank you for joining up today Chrissy!
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm delighted to be a part of your Saturday tradition!

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful quote and post! I love writer's workshop!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being part of my story!