Saturday, September 24, 2011

Farms and Fun (my 100th post!)

There was a chorus of moos and squeals 
in my kindergarten room this week!  
These were our favorite books:
(I do a mean Farmer Brown impression!)
 

 

In art class, the children crafted mini quilts with fabric squares and paper.  When these were hung together, the effect was lovely.
If the school had been lice -free, I would have brought in my quilts  :-)


A sampling of our Cow Glyphs:  
tail=fav milk flavor, spots=age, bow/horns=girl/boy 
(Yes, I see the 3-spot cow; must adjust asap!)




We did a write-the-room activity with sight words.  Writing extra words was also encouraged.  Most of the children chose to write vocabulary from the farm!


We used a math box to sort, count, and categorize farm animals.  The spinner was a big hit!
Next week, Mrs. Wishy Washy will make an appearance!  
We'll also try to make butter....
I'm going to do a test run tomorrow!
If you have a farm unit on TPT or Teacher's Notebook, please let me know--I'd love to take a peek and possibly put $ in your pocket!

3 comments:

  1. What a fun farm unit! Since I grew up on a dairy farm in WI, I always get to go to my first grade classes in the spring and talk about life on the farm.

    Our favorite farm books that weave in a character-development theme are: The BandAid Chicken by Becky Henton, I Want Your Moo by Marcella Weiner, Don't Be So Nosy, Posy by Nicole Grant, Squawking Matilda by Lisa Horstman.

    Barbara
    The Corner On Character

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such cute farm things!! I just love the cow glyph and quilt. I am going to have to check out some of those books you listed. I have tow of them, but not the others.

    http://wildaboutk.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your Cow Glyphs! What a great idea! Gotta figure out how to fit it into my plans!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being part of my story!