Monday, January 23, 2012

Learning Through Art

At my school, every teacher has a special class duty.  Mine is to teach art to the kindergartners and first-graders, combined.  Not counting the budgetary limitations, this isn't a problem for me, thanks to Pinterest and the year in college when art was my major!


I begin every art class with a book.  Children's literature is an absolute passion of mine!  While teaching PreK, I pioneered an extended day class that we called "Bookclub".  Writing the curriculum for Bookclub was a dream come true!  The program is  thriving at that preschool and I am thrilled.


Last week, we painted southern lights after reading Osbert In Love.
Water Color~Southern Lights

During our Winter Wonderland theme, we made the snowmen with perspective.  These snowmen were a Pinterest find and I love them!
Let it snow!
This week, as we begin our study of outer space, I incorporated our Christian directive to the project.  The children wrote "God made the Earth." at the bottom of their artwork.  They used a torn paper effect to cover the globe--which, quite honestly, caused a few of them to panic!  I actually hid a few pairs of scissors today!




Because I teach the same students on a two-year rotation, I need to plan approximately 75 different art projects.  I've said it before, I'll say it again, 
"Thank God for Pinterest!".  
The following blogs have also enriched my teaching:
Laugh Paint Create
Mrs. Picasso's Art Room
Rainbows Within Reach
There's A Dragon In My Art Room
We Heart Art
Thanks to all of you, for sharing your creativity with the world!

6 comments:

  1. I love these. I'd seen the snowman but not the others. I've been very thankful for pinterest art too. I also follow some art blogs, but I haven't known about the last two you mentioned. I'd better head that way now. Thanks!

    Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I so need you to come teach art at our school!! We have no program for it or music! =(
    Jennifer
    First Grade Blue SKies

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are beautiful! I love your Northern Lights! I just got my watercolors in and I'm gonna STEAL your idea! I had so much fun the other day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um...I mean southern lights. First penguins can fly. Now penguins at the North Pole? I am unfit to teach!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for your shout-out to my blog. I 'found' you today by seeing I had visitors to my blog from yours!!!! Isn't it awesome how that works? I'll add you into my blog roll!!! I LUV your 'southern lights' pictured here. Whenever you get to the point of wanting to create some artwork in response to one of my three picture books -- just let me know!!!!
    Debbie Clement
    RainbowsWithinReach

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am inspired, Chrissy! We don't have art anymore, and I try to "throw it in" when I can. We had an assembly in our art room today, and I forgot how much my kids love to go in there. I'm determined to get more art in my classroom ASAP! Thanks for the resources and inspiration!

    Kim @ carriedawaykindergarten.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being part of my story!